Finally in NOLA at BbWorld!

Hello everyone,

This is Julio from CTLT! As announced in June, I was selected as an official blogger at Blackboard’s BbWorld 2012 conference in New Orleans. I’ll be blogging every day giving you all insights from the conference!

I have finally arrived in New Orleans this morning at 8:46 AM local time. Once I landed I went straight to the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center to head over to BbWorld 2012 conference.

Once I got to the convention center it was a little daunting trying to find BbWorld (this place is huge), but after walking what seemed to feel like a mile I came across a sign that pretty  much summed up what I was thinking. I couldn’t help but chuckle when I read it:

Thankfully I had my ID on me!

Anyway, throughout the day I attended a variety of sessions. Many were on things that we already use here at Pace (Pace CTLT is ahead of the curve, as always). My favorite was ”Seven Quality Assurance Strategies to Grow and Support Online Programs” with Sallie A. Reissman, Sr. Director of Online Learning & Educational Technology, Wilmington University (DE). Wilmington started from not having any online courses to now grow its online programs by 44% in 5 years! Gained great insight into their Teaching Online Certification in empowering faculty to teach 100% online courses. That’s why it’s important for Pace faculty who are teaching online to take the Teaching Online Certification (shameless plug, but nonetheless important).

After having lunch at the “Bb Bistro” I walked to the “Bb Social Lounge” where there were different booths of various educational support/instructional technology companies. I strolled past what looked like a skit; I must say this was quite unique. There was a variety of skits on theoretical situations (with a comical spin) on how to use a variety of Blackboard’s products such as Blackboard Analytics, Blackboard Services, Blackboard Connect, etc. Here’s a 360 degree photo shot of the “Social Lounge.”

Click to enlarge photo.

Coming to this conference I get the sense that everyone is here for the same reason, trying to accomplish the same thing; everyone is in the same boat. We can all learn from each other experiences, which is priceless because one does not have to re-invent the wheel! It actually makes me feel better to know that higher education institutions around the globe have similar challenges despite their sizes, history, or reputation.

Everyone is so helpful and willing to network and connect with each other. I made some connections! I look forward to working with them!

I’m bummed I wasn’t hear for day one sessions (yesterday), but it was a great day today! Definitely looking forward to tomorrow!

- Julio

PS. Watch a brief clip of conference day 2 recap (my first day)

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!